National Art League
44-21 Douglaston Parkway
Douglaston, NY 11363
CLASS TITLE: "Expressive Watercolors"
Instructor: Marc Josloff
May 11, 2023
May 25, June 1, 8, 22, 2023
Classes will resume in Sept/October
Time: Zoom online class 3:45 - 5:15pm
Cost: $25 per class- pay by the week
or 4 week package
Classes are non-refundable
"Expressive Watercolors” is a combination of traditional and experimental watercolor technique. The emphasis is on developing and refining your painting voice, which is really the most gratifying part of art-making. Marc will provide a selection of different categories of painting references from around the world, but you are welcome to use your own references.
Each class consists of critique and painting and Marc does frequent demonstrations while sprinkling in motivations from the masters, all delivered with passion and humor. Every artist in the class will be surprised to discover hidden expressive abilities.
Some drawing and watercolor experience is advised.
A list will be issued to all new students upon registration, but here are the basics:
- Quality tubed watercolors arranged in a palette (w cover) to include an assortment of warm and cool primary colors
plus raw sienna and paynes gray (for value studies).
- Sketch pencils, fine permanent ink pen(s), eraser.
- A large round sable or kolinsky brush #10 size and a smaller round sable brush #8 are essential.
- Water vessels (clear soup container is fine).
- Used Face towel for drying brushes.
- Adjustable angle table easel….or 3” notebook binder to raise the back of the paper support.
- Watercolor paper (140lb, cold press or rough) about 9” x 12”. Blocks or pads are advised. Also a pad for practice
exercises. Canson WC blocks are good and inexpensive (available at Blick Art Supply).
- Masking tape
- Desk Computer, Laptop or IPad for Zoom lessons
- Light plastic folding table (picnic style) gives extra space for materials at your side.
Contact Marc at email@example.com or 516-223-7659
About the instructor:
Instructor Marc Josloff has been teaching a new technique, involving gesture line intermingled with lush color blobs, for the last 4 years in workshops all over Long Island.
Marc’s own watercolors have been included in international art publications. In 2004 Marc was featured as one of 11 Artists to Watch” in Watercolor Magic magazine (Artists Magazine) and his painting “Boy on a Scooter” was an international selection in “Splash 19: Best in Watercolor.” Marc’s work resides in numerous private and permanent collections, including those of the Museum of the State of NY and the Art Students League of NY.